Saturday, May 22, 2010

After the Limo: Before and After and the Flair of Going Home

Here's the picture of my friend 2 years ago.

She told me I could use this picture (besides, it's the front page of the paper today and in local news). Below, you'll see the "after" shot.   Here she is after we exited the limo and transformed her for her big reveal.  You'll see me looking hyper as usual. 

After all the glitter (literally we had glitter dust on us) and glam (think Movie Stars), my friend looked at me around 9:30 PM, and we both knew it was time to go home.  It was an amazing, enchanted night with cameras, crowds, dancing--the works.  But when it got late, we just wanted . . . home. 

We drove back in my old Honda, back to our old neighborhood, back to our regular lives.  For an entire day, we were movie stars, but this morning, I woke up thankful to just be home.  Today I knew I'd be making pancakes, transplanting those seeds my daughter planted in the windowsill, and going to visit that newborn foal this afternoon.  Monday, I'll walk the kids to schools, and later, we'll do double-dutch in the parking lot.

Living with flair means wiping the glitter off and enjoying the simple things.  I loved the moment my friend looked at me and said, "I'm ready to go home."  And did I mention that when we got there, her entire house was sparkling clean?  A crew came and transformed her house while she was busy getting the makeover.  Going home does feel better when you walk into a crystal clean house.  Which reminds me:  Saturday is cleaning day in my house (after pancakes and before gardening), so I'm back to the mundane, the anonymous, and the ordinary.  I can't wait to enjoy a day of regular flair.  

Photo courtesy of Centre Daily Times (Craig Houtz)
                                         
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the blessed ordinary, such comfort such stability, such security

JoAnn Foley-DeFiore said...

thank you for adding your OTHER flair entries via hyperlink!! believe it or not, those were three that I actually missed the first time, so I got FOUR new FLAIRS in one day!! yeah!