Friday, July 16, 2010

A Science Experiment About My Mood

Last night we picked wild Queen Anne's Lace for a science experiment.  I wanted to show the girls how capillary action works.  The stem of the Queen Anne's Lace in a cup of dyed water, will, within a few hours, suck the water up into the flower and turn it the same color as the dyed water.

We put our Queen Anne's Lace in water dyed dark purple, neon blue, and pink. This morning, sure enough, the flowers were the same color as the water.
Amazing!  The color was striking, and it occurred to me how trusting the Queen Anne's Lace is, how indiscriminate.  Whatever liquid environment you place the stems in, they draw it in deep within themselves and assume that color.

I imagine my living room as one big vase of water and my family as Queen Anne's Lace.  I'm thinking about what they draw in from me, from my attitude, my hope, my flair. 

It's just too easy for the stem to draw in whatever it's near--no matter what shade.  Hopefully, that color is bright and joyful. 




(Photo courtesy of Lexington Gardener Examiner)

2 comments:

Kathryn the Great said...

I'm going to try this flower experiment with my grandchildren! (have plenty of Queen Anne's Lace in the backyard) Thank you for your blog, which I just found this afternoon. I really like the idea of living with flair.

Anonymous said...

I love the message within the article, and definitely plan on trying this trick. I have no children, but think it would be fun to try non-the-less :-)