Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Million Ways to Prosper

I'm reading Psalm 1 (where it says whatever we do will prosper), and I notice all the things I wanted God to "prosper" in my life.  I've scribbled down everything from boyfriends to book contracts in that narrow margin. 

This particular Bible was given to me by my great friend, Elizabeth, back in 1995.  I therefore have 17 years worth of hopes and dreams written in the margin of this Bible.

I notice something as I look at all the things that didn't ever seem to work out.

The promise in Psalm 1 is this: 

Blessed is the man
   who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
   or sit in the seat of mockers. 

But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
   and on his law he meditates day and night. 

He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
   Whatever he does prospers.


I wonder for the first time what that verb "prosper" really means.  Very few of my dreams in the margin came true, but does that mean they did not prosper?  In the midst of failure, broken dreams, disappointments, and unanswered prayers, did I nevertheless thrive?  Did I nevertheless meet God?  Did God not use it somehow? 

Whatever I do, God prospers it.  He makes it succeed and thrive in a million incomprehensible ways.  

I might not see it until 17 years later.  I might not ever see it, but the promise in Psalm 1 is that whatever I do prospers.  

Whatever we do today will prosper.  

____________________________
Do you have an instance where something seemed like a failure or a disappointment and God actually used it to prosper you? 

 

1 comment:

Sweetyedie said...

I recently read this quote:
"Eventually you realize that the reason God didn't always answer your prayers is that He was answering your mom's prayers." -Robert Brault

Another attempt to make sense of that mysterious realm of seemingly unanswered prayer.

If, indeed, All Things Work Together for Good to Those Who Love God and are Called according to His Purpose, then no matter how things look from our perspective (an unsightly mess of crisscrossed and hanging threads), from His perspective things look Good (a beautiful and unique embroidery).

Thanks for the reminder that God is on our side and that "Whatever I do, God prospers it.  He makes it succeed and thrive in a million incomprehensible ways."