Saturday, May 19, 2012

Praising the One Who Passes the Ball: How Real Leaders Make Others Win

On the soccer field today, I'm amazed at my daughter's passing skills. She's been working so hard to pass the ball. 

The parents cheer from the sidelines not just for the one who makes the goal, but also for the one who passes to the shooter. 

I just love it!  

Last month, my husband told me about a basketball team who pointed and cheered and celebrated the one who passed to the shooter.  Once a basket was scored, the whole team pointed to the one who passed the ball, not the one who scored. 

And last night, as my husband leads a meeting, he tells the students that his job is "to make them a success."

There's something so right and good about being the one who makes others achieve success.  All year, I've been learning about my platform, my influence, and my marketing.  What if I stopped everything and asked myself who I could make a success instead?  What if I stopped trying to make a name for myself and helped others reach their goals?

I need a cultural correction;  real leaders make others look great, not themselves.  

I remember that the apostle Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 3:8 about his work the following mystery:  "Now we really live because you are standing firm in the Lord."

I want to be the kind of woman who gives her life away to make others stand firm.  I want to make others achieve success. 

Then, like Paul, I might say I really lived

___________________________________
Don't you just love a team when the players cheer for the one who passed? 


8 comments:

Devon Torch said...

This is exactly how I feel when I think about teaching my students! So insightful :)

Italian Mama said...

Heather, you ARE the ultimate play maker.  You have made so many wonderful things happen just in our neighborhood, collectively and for individuals.  Like me!  No wonder your daughter excels at setting up the big plays; she takes after her mother! 

Anne Marie Winz said...

I love this! Thanks for posting. I'm smiling big for you and wishing you the best!

Christine Mantlo said...

Beautifuuly put! I'm with you Heather, I want to give my life away to make others stand firm too. :D. I'm also a writer. I write devotionals to inspire, encourage, and hope to cause hunger in others for the living Word of God.

LivewithFlair said...

Too kind!  Thank you, Italian Mama!  You are a play maker, too!

LivewithFlair said...

 Hello, Christine!   Are your devotionals online?  I would love to read them.  I love that you want to "cause hunger" for God.  Bravo! 

LivewithFlair said...

Thanks, Anne Marie!  

LivewithFlair said...

 Yes!  It IS what great teaching is, Devon!!!  By the way, I have had so much minted water these past few days.