Saturday, August 17, 2013

"If you lose your mind, you lose it into the hand of God." Elizabeth Goudge

A new friend recommends one of her favorite books to me. It's The Scent of Water, by Elizabeth Goudge. It's a wonderful book! One character who fears for her mental state as she battles depression receives wise counsel from a spiritual friend. When she expresses how terrifying it is to lose your mind, the man replies, "If you lose your mind, you lose it into the hand of God."

As someone so afraid of returning to depression, I find such comfort here.

Even my mind can rest in the loving hand of God. I don't need to worry; my soul--different and distinct from my brain--doesn't deteriorate or fail. It doesn't waver or betray. My mind, however, might--and most likely will--betray me in the end. I will not fear.

If I lose my mind, I lose it into the hand of God.

__________________________
Isn't this a great comfort and a great curiosity to consider the mind as different from the soul?

1 comment:

Roberta Rae said...

Wow - a powerful image and greatly reassuring reminder.