Monday, September 6, 2010

Trusting the Process (without Peeking)

I'm a horrible disaster in the kitchen.  But God seems to teach me things in this place of flour and butter.  This morning, I tried my neighbor's delicious "popover" recipe.  Their family loves popovers.  They sprinkle lemon juice and powdered sugar atop the fluffy dish, and voila!  Breakfast joy!

Yesterday, she scribbled the recipe for me on the back of my daughter's "She Had a Wonderful First Day in Kindergarten" card.  You melt 2 tablespoons butter in an oven-safe skillet at 475 degrees.  Meanwhile, you whisk together 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, and 2 eggs.  When the butter melts, you pour your batter in the skillet, close the over door, and wait exactly 12 minutes.  No more, no less.  And you cannot open the oven door.  The popover won't puff up if you do.

I do everything according to the instructions.  But when it comes to the "no peeking" part (and my oven has no glass window for seeing inside), I can hardly bear it.  Was it working?  Was my batter fluffing up?

12 minutes seems like an eternity.  I'm dying.  I have to peek.  I have to make sure the process is working.

I bite my lip and wait.  I actually count down with my timer--aloud--those last few seconds.  Finally, I can open the oven door.

It worked. 

Why was it so hard to trust the process?  Why did I have to bite my lip and restrain myself from needing proof that something good was actually happening inside that hot oven?

Oh me of little faith!  As I enjoyed that delicious treat with my family, I remembered that I can trust the process even if I can't see what's happening.  God works in secret within what often feels like an emotionally dark inferno.  But if I trust the process, I'll turn into what I'm supposed to become. 
Living with flair means I'm OK with not peeking.  What's supposed to happen is happening.  I'll see the product when it's time.

7 comments:

Charity said...

Love, love, love it! The recipe and trusting the process! Thank you!

Shelby said...

I love this post! I won't try the recipe because I'm the ORIGINAL disaster in the kitchen (though it sounds yummy!) but I love the tie-in with trusting the process. I am SO THERE in my life right now.

Thanks for the visit to my blog; it helped me to find yours! I'm subscribing; I like what you have to say and how you say it -- with flair!

Jenny said...

Such a great post. Love it!

Desiree said...

Love the analogy! A great reminder that God is THE Master Chef and His creation (each one of us) will turn out perfect! Right now, I am in the oven with the heat surely to rise before the timer goes off, but I am encouraged! Thank you!

Judy D said...

Great, Heather. Truth at so many levels. And God is far more trustworthy than any recipe--and not dependent on my doing it right.

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your blog today... great word picture! I am so grateful for the process in my life! Janna

RicKim said...

I really needed to read this today! Thank you! I am so anxious to run ahead of myself and make sure something is "happening". Even when the Lord reminds me that He sees me I'm anxious to make my desires come to fruition. I think, "if only I could peak inside the black box then I would be able to be patient!" But the truth is the Lord knows I would still run ahead of Him, and He knows waiting with Him is best. Thanks for the reminder!