Friday, September 10, 2010

What You Have to Set Free

Pine Cone Maturity / esu.edu
Walking to my classroom today, I passed a cluster of pines.  Beneath their branches, a perfect circle of pine cones posed like ornaments shaken from a Christmas tree. 

I stopped to consider what it might mean that a tree would drop all of its pine cones.  It seemed like loss; I felt longing in my heart. 

I know that the cone is just the protective cover for hundreds of seeds housed within it.  Once a year, a pine tree drops its pine cones to the forest floor.  If you pick one up, you can gently shake it to release tiny seeds--black dots in thin paper--that might not have yet flown free. 

Normally, the pine cone stays on the branch, opens up when the weather is dry, and lets the wind disseminate all her seeds.  Then, she'll drop to the forest floor.  The whole process takes about a year. 

Something about opening up, releasing those seeds, and then dropping to the ground like that made me wonder about the gifts we disperse, the creative acts we protect and then finally circulate, and the offspring or relationships we let loose.  It's all part of the process--shaking our pine cones free--emancipating things that we need to release and no longer control.  A pine tree forest's survival depends upon the ability to protect a seed and then send it out.  The remnant of that cone on the forest floor is proof that it let something go

If I were a pine tree, I'd want thousands of cones beneath my feet.  I'd gaze upon the cones to remind myself of what I released into the world and didn't keep for myself.  And I know there's something we lose with every release.  There will always be that vessel in our hearts--that tiny cone--to remember what we wanted to hold onto but knew we had to set free. 

3 comments:

Debbie Happy Maker said...

I love the way you express people by the way of pine cones. There is so much truth in it. Wonderful post.
thanks
Debbie

Julie Bong Genovese said...

Beautifully said - I love looking at the world through your loving lenses. Thank you!

Mspong said...

I agree. Often times I am talking with some of my friends, and I always genuinly want to hear what they have to say, but often times fear holds them back because that's not how others think or how others treat them. Often times other people or other friends aren't really interetsed in what they have to say - and to me it's heartbreaking. Listen to the stories people tell, listen to what is on their hearts. Too often I have friends that say to me, just tell me when you get tired of this or let me know when you get sick of listening me talk about this. I always have to reassure them that I care, and that I really want to listen and am interested in what they have to say. I think we need to encourage people like those in your class. Too often people have things to say, but fear and the reaction of others holds them back from sharing the depth and thoughtfullness they hold inside.
Great post, I love reading you blog daily. Thanks so much for writing!!
- Melissa :)