Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Take a Minute

I'm officially overloaded with work obligations and writing tasks.  As I sit at my computer, I become annoyed by my cat, Louie Von Whiskers, who knows the exact moment when I start to type on my keyboard.

This crazy cat believes that my computer work signals his need to nap across the keyboard.  I push him down onto the carpet, and he jumps right back on top of the computer--audacious, insistent, and. . . adorable.

"OK, you kitty," I say.  I take him in my arms, and he immediately curls up into a soft ball.  Purring loudly, he stays put, and when I try to lean over to type, he actually puts a paw on my arm to restrain me.  So I'm stuck here, holding this ball of fur. 

I do have one hand free.  Can I type with this one hand?  Not really.  But I can reach for my hot cup of tea that I'd forgotten I'd made. 

Here I sit, cup of tea in one hand, purring cat on my lap.  I think God gave me this cat to make me take a minute--a non-productive minute--to do nothing at all. 

I find myself so refreshed that I have to wonder what other non-productive minutes I might take today.  More tea?  More snuggling with animals?  What if I listened to a new song or gazed out the back window?

It can't all be work in 2011.  Imagine a cat sleeps on your lap and you can't move at all.  You have no choice but to lean back, drink your tea, and enjoy yourself for a minute. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Peanuts has a cartoon in which Snoopy is asleep on Charlie Brown's lap. The phone rings. Charlie Brown says "if it is for me, tell them my dog is asleep on my lap and I cannot come to the phone as it will disturb him." A totally lovely "excuse" for down time. I miss having a purring cat but make do with snoring dogs.

E.M.B. said...

I guess your cat doesn't want you to work. Did you like intreupting your work?

dianna said...

All these different blogs i'm reading are referring to their kitties......I'm going to end up HAVING to get another kitty! And soon!

Dianna
www.thesedaysofmine.com

Tammie said...

Had the same thing happen today only I was trying to get to a much needed bible study! After some attention and scratches she settled down.

jenny_o said...

Cats know how to relax and are good examples for us :)

PepeB said...

"My" cat (she belomngs to my neighbour really) even managed to type the following: ^^