Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What You Alone Can See

Walking to school, we notice how everything drips.  It's nearly 35 degrees (a warm day!), and we're jubilant as we slosh along the sidewalk. 

I observe the water droplets on the branches and winter berries, and it suddenly occurs to me that not one other living creature sees what I see at this exact moment.

The droplets fall to the earth, and I know that never again--not even once in a million years--will that exact configuration of molecules exist on this limb.

I observe them, behold their passing, and consider the sublime fact that I took note of what nobody else could see.   In this enormous earth, filled with billions of people, no one--not even one!--saw that droplet reflecting the neighbor's pine tree in its orb. 

My day bursts with wonder.  I'm seeing what no one else sees.  I'm documenting a beauty that would be otherwise lost.  

You see things in your world that I do not see and will never see.  You notice what a billion people will not ever behold.

Living with flair means we erupt with wonder--with worship--at these things around us.  No other creature looks at what we are seeing, in the way we are seeing it.  We experience beauty that God places before us, and living with flair means we proclaim it. 




______________________________________
Journal:  What moment of beauty did I observe today that no other creature saw?

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh, I love this.

Thank you for reminding me of the importance of paying attention, of noticing, and of wonder. Every day you do that!! Thank you!
xox

E.M.B. said...

Amazing! our weather here is really bad (you're so lucky!)
What a great thing to see!

jenny_o said...

What a good day to ask this question! Driving to work I was lucky enough to notice our hometown river, which was iced over yesterday but starting to thaw today, shimmering in the light. It was covered in a white haze, and here and there were white seagulls, lighting on and walking on the thin wet ice. It was a beautiful scene, stored away in my memory now.

Thank you for the reminder to actually see what we are looking upon.

LivewithFlair said...

Jenny-o! How gorgeous! I can just see that white haze and the thin wet ice. Lovely and so well-written. I would love to peek into your journal sometimes and read more of your writing!

LivewithFlair said...

Lindsey and EMB: Thank you so much for your constant encouragement! Your comments are always so affirming!!

Jared Lee said...

I see you're getting some good practice in with that camera of yours! Good shots!

jenny_o said...

Heather, your comment was so very kind. Because I enjoy and admire your writing, it meant a great deal to me. I've emailed you a longer note which I hope arrives safely. Thank you!