Monday, August 1, 2011

Verb of the Week

This morning, I talk to a student about the verb "rehabilitate."  It means to restore to normal, to recover, to reestablish good working order.  In terms of physical therapy, this verb represents hope.

Physical therapists know that rehabilitation happens in the context of a whole network of support:  individual, family, and community.  You aren't alone in the journey towards restoration.   It takes time, and we are all in this together. 

I think about this today because of the post-travel anxiety and moodiness I experience!  Nothing feels normal around here.  I'm rehabilitating--even still--from all those years of depression and anxiety.  Good days, bad days, hopeful days, hopeless days.

I'm learning not to fear the bad days anymore.  There's a true self that emerges when you let even the darkness out. 

It helps that my neighbors tell me that their friendship isn't dependent on my good, stable moods. 

Living with flair means we see life as a rehabilitation process.   As communities, we journey together patiently and offer one another the deepest, most beautiful hope.  Good days, bad days.  We are all in this together.

___________
Journal:  Are you rehabilitating, too? 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the title of this post should be "Verb for the Weak." We are all weak and need rehabilitation in some form.

Megan Willome said...

My son had extensive rehab after knee surgery five years ago. When I see him run, I get all teary because I had given up hope that he could ever run again.

Live with Flair said...

I feel teary hearing that story! You had given up home, and now your son is running. I love this.

Gigi said...

Every day is a chance for a new beginning. Just take it one day at a time.

Unknown said...

I had the chance to live flair yesterday. I spent time in St. Louis with a hospitalized friend who is preparing to undergo yet another surgery, her third since March. She was scared and called me. I had planned to visit with her anyway but was so glad she called. She is rehabilitating with each surgery and from an old history of drug/alcohol addiction.

Every day, I learn to live my new normal after cancer surgeries, radiation and depression. LOVE Anonymous's suggestion of "verb for the weak." Indeed, we all carry, adjust and bear burdens seen and unseen by others but not by God. She is there holding us up even when we have tied the knot in our rope to hang on.

In your turmoil of readjusting back to your normal state, remember the grace you experienced in CO - even the vomiting. Thank you for sharing your flair.

Sue Tell said...

One of the lessons I've learned about rehabilitating is it takes time ~ often the same amount of time that te un-rehabilitating took. Travel for a week, rehabilitate for a week (not always the same, but it's been a guide for me).

Summer is usually a time of rehabilitation for me. In May, I prayed and asked God what He wanted in my box (might check my first blog, last Sept) this summer. There were only 4 things He wanted me to give myself to. God knew I was going to need all kinds of time and energy for what He knew He planned to add to my box!

I'm feeling the need to rehabilitate too!

sam said...

I understand. It is taking me awhile to get back to regular life, too. Thanks for making me feel normal!