Saturday, June 23, 2012

Shame, Darkness, Secrecy, Fear

Late last night, my husband and I listen to the remarks following Sandusky's guilty verdict. I'm not as happy as I thought I'd be. I'm not as relieved as I thought I'd be. I find myself in anguish over what this trial reveals about a culture of shame, darkness, secrecy, and fear. There's hope today, however, because the verdict helps reverse and rebuild. It sets the whole community on a course to radically change. 

Instead of shame, we live in communities of vulnerability and acceptance. 
Instead of darkness, we bring our lives into the glorious light.
Instead of secrecy, we live by transparent truth to others.
Instead of fear, we live by courage and faith.

We shine the light of God into every dark place. We rescue, protect, and heal.

____________________________________
Please continue to pray for the Penn State community.

2 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

You and those you love were in my thoughts last night. You will remain in my prayers. XOX

Sam Van Eman said...

I'm on one hand frustrated by the amount of media hype on this story, and on the other glad for what light it offers for so many affected by secret lives (their own and others').