Saturday, February 22, 2014

Bad food = bad mood

A wise, older mother taught me the importance of being a "predictably cheerful" mom.

I thought that was crazy at the time. Predictably cheerful?

First of all, who can predict cheerful?
Secondly, who can predict cheerful?

I want to be predictably cheerful. I don't want to have the kind of home where everybody fears what kind of mood mom's going to have today. I want to have children and a husband who rush home to find a cheerful woman who loves life and overflows with a kind of irresistible vibrance and joy.

Over these past few decades, I've learned some tricks for mood management that create a predictably cheerful mom. Yes, it's a lot about sleep, exercise, spiritual disciplines, healthy relationships, and meaningful work. But after all these years, I'm learning the strong connection between food and mood.

I can do all those things I listed, but in one mouthful, I can sabotage all these efforts.

Have you learned this? Have you noticed any connection between a dip in mood and soft drinks, sugar,  or processed food? I have! I have! I wish it weren't so, but it simply is. 

What can we do? 

Today, I reaffirm to my husband my "Predictably Cheerful Mom Eating Plan" that reinvigorates some healthy eating--not for weight loss or image (although nothing's wrong with this)--but for MOOD!

Are ya with me?  Bad food = bad mood. I'm ready for some predictable cheerfulness.




No comments: