Saturday, February 1, 2014

"In the morning, O Lord, I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."

I read in Psalm 5 when David reports: "In the morning, O Lord, I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."

It's morning time. I position my pen above my journal and imagine God asking, "Is there anything you need? Anything at all? Is there any concern you might have? Any at all? Might I be of assistance?"

It seems so bizarre that the sovereign, all-powerful Lord of the Universe would attend to us like this. I remember in Psalm 33:15 that "God forms the hearts of all and considers everything they do." Everything. 

What if I lived like David did, spreading out my hands in prayer in the morning with all the concerns of the day and then waiting in expectation?

I write all the requests down that clutter my mind. I pour it all out right down to the silliest and most seemingly inconsequential (that Merlin would let us hold him or that my daughter will absolutely love her new glasses or that I'll think of something yummy to make for the Superbowl party). Inviting God into it all feels so nice this morning.

I think that's what it's supposed to feel like each morning.

I pray over the Big Things--sick friends, hurting neighbors, anxious thoughts, major national and world concerns--but I also remember that God asks me to cast all my cares upon Him because He cares for me.

Merlin's gaining security. Kate loves her new glasses and wanted to wear them around town today. I'm making crab dip for the party.





1 comment:

Judy Gordon Morrow said...

Loved this, Heather. I am constantly amazed by our loving Lord and how he cares about the simplest details of our life. Each one allows him to shine--and reminds me that if he cares about the small things, he surely cares about the things that most concern me.