Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Big Truth in a Little Something

Notice anything about my succulent (crassula ovata "Jade") plant? This is the plant I've neglected and damaged with all my moving it about. But look!


It has propagated! 



As I observe the sweet little new plant, I grow curiouser and curiouser. I learn, according to Tabitha Sukhai that "these plants thrive on neglect." And I learn further that the new little plant grows from the wounded and dropped leaves of the big plant. 

Neglect and wounding foster what becomes a nearly indestructible plant that grows more and more no matter what obstacles come. 

Not enough attention? No problem; I grow. To many wounds? No problem; that's how I grow. Feeling neglected? No problem; that's what helps me grow. 

I love what my Jade plant symbolizes: Whatever we feel like we lack, and whatever kinds of wounds we bear, we know God can turn that environment into indestructible growth. We keep before us the truth that God "causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them" (Romans 8:28 NLT). 

Besides, what I perceived as damaging was actually good for this kind of plant. It all works together to bring about the plant's health. What a curious and wonderful truth!








1 comment:

Elaine said...

What a great visual, Heather. I'm re-reading Bonnie Gray's Finding Spiritual Whitespace in her on-line book club and for me, this is the perfect image to carry with me - new life and growth from wounds and neglect. So timely!