Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Your Own Little Sag Wagon

Today I learn from my cycling friend about the Sag Wagon. She claims that on her next 100 mile bike ride, I can drive the Sag Wagon. 

I've never heard of this expression in my life! I love it!

The Sag Wagon is the supply vehicle that travels alongside the cyclists with food, medical supplies, camping equipment, or anything else a cyclist might need on her ride. The Sag Wagon also drives ahead and sets up rest areas or camp sites so everything is ready when the cyclists come.

(I learn that "Sag" can stand for Support and Gear, Support Aid Group, or for the cyclist that is "sagging" behind and needs support.)

I love the whole idea of a Sag Wagon. It's so protective and preparative. I think of that sweet verse in Deuteronomy 1:33 where we're told God "went ahead of you on your journey, in fire by night and in a cloud by day, to search out places for you to camp and show you the way you should go." I think of the chapters ahead in 31:6 where we're told to "be strong and of good courage, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will not fail or forsake you."

My Sag Wagon! I also think of that characteristic of God as one who journeys alongside us, protecting and providing at all times. Am I that kind of support to those around me? I think of the way a Sag Wagon driver watches carefully for any signs of distress amongst the cyclists. I think of how, at any given time, the driver is ready with supplies and places of rest for those who need restoration and replenishment.

Not everyone can be the cyclist; some of us must drive the Sag Wagon.

I want to be a replenishing aid to my community. I'm driving beside you, your own little Sag Wagon.

No comments: