Thursday, April 30, 2015

It Doesn't Depend on My Feelings About It

Sometimes I sit in my chair with my Bible and journal, and I grapple with all sorts of complex theological issues. If I'm not careful, I invite existential crisis by 8:00 AM. I worry and worry about correct doctrine. I labor over what I'm feeling about things. I wonder why I don't feel particularly close to God.

I question my good reasoning skills, my intelligence, and my mental health.

I berate myself for my terrible mood. I go down the black hole into the familiar abyss--but wait! Wait!

I don't have to do this. I remember a wise person saying to me:

"Your feelings about the Bible don't change the reality of it and whether or not it's true."

Then I read Hannah Whitall Smith's bold declaration that our earnest feelings about Jesus--or right theology, or a positive mood, or clear thinking--are false resting places. Nothing about Jesus depends upon how we feel in any particular moment. God doesn't change (Psalm 55:19). He's exactly the same every single day no matter how I'm feeling about Him.

I am a shifting shadow; the Lord is not (James 1:17).

I'm so thankful that nothing depends upon my emotions, my good reasoning, or my ability to think clearly. These things are not the most important things. Truth does not depend on me. 


No comments: