Friday, September 4, 2015

In Us All Along

Someone I never in a million years thought would ever, ever do something like this announced that he has, in fact, auditioned for community theater. It was a dream from long ago, perhaps tucked away deep into the heart, that just now awakens for its time in the spotlight.

The courage it took! I feel it all: the deep breath, the "Here goes!", the racing heart, and the shutting up of any voice that says, "You are too old."

I think of the time my friend after all these years--three decades of waiting--decided to audition for community theater and won the lead role in her fifties. Oh, how we cheered her on and gave so many flowers on opening night!

I think of the year the Italian Mama found her dancing shoes again after all those years.

I think of growing older and how, sometimes, dreams wake up and call out: It's time for me. 

Living with flair means, no matter what our age or how long it's been, we take a deep breath and do this new thing that's been in our hearts all along.

That's how it was the day I sat in my basement after five years of staying home and said to myself, "I want to teach college students again." That's how it was the day I knew I had to tell the story inside.

If it's time, it's time. Age and circumstances rarely matter. Dreams always find a way out.

No comments: