Monday, July 4, 2011

How Emily Dickinson (and a Friend's Blog) Saved My Morning

I'll just begin by telling you a certain child in my family vomits seven times last night.  This is the other child (not the one with the entirely different virus). 

I don't actually wake up this morning because I never actually went to bed. 

Everyone complains.  Everyone feels miserable, and to make matters worse, it's a holiday!  We'll miss the bike parade, the hot dogs, the fireworks--everything. 

Then I check my email, and a new friend sends me a link to her blog.  She's entitled it "Dwell in Possibility."  I think about the phrase all morning because it resonates deeply.  I've heard the phrase before--from some distant place--that recalls a beautiful hoping in me. 

Then I remember.  It's from Emily Dickinson.  I love Emily Dickinson. 

I dwell in Possibility --
A fairer House than Prose --
More numerous of Windows --
Superior -- for Doors --

Of Chambers as the Cedars --
Impregnable of Eye --
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky --

Of Visitors -- the fairest --
For Occupation -- This --
The spreading wide of narrow Hands
To gather Paradise --

I read the poem again and again.  Today, I choose to gather Paradise.

______________________
Journal:  What are the possibilities of this day?  Who could even name them all? 

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

It IS a fairer house than Prose, isn't it? And I love windows. :)

Unknown said...

I checked out your friend's blog and am now following it. Her attitude is akin to yours - what can I pull out of life even and especially when it is not "perfect?" I am so sorry to hear bout your ill kiddos - esp. the high temp girl.
I have agreed to go into work tonight. I wasn't thinking, it is the 4th of July and I have firework-phobic dogs! However, I had also, in my heart, decided to be more available to work and to others with flair and w/o complaining. See what you are doing to me?! LOL. Thank you for sharing the Emily Dickinson poem. AWESOME.
Oh, I hope all is well soon so you all can be released back into the wonderful spaces of the West.

Dianna said...

Beautiful poem; one that I don't recall ever reading! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Hope your little ones are well soon!