Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What You Will Think About Today

The "father of air conditioning," Willis Haviland Carrier, claims he had a flash of genius while waiting for a train.  He began thinking about temperature and humidity, and within moments he had a scientific method to chill the air.

Back then, you couldn't distract yourself from thinking so easily.  

I remember Carrier all day as I walk around in the kind of blazing heat that makes it hard to breathe.  I thank God for what I take for granted:  air conditioning, ice, refrigeration, cold water from a fountain. Some one began thinking and something wonderful happened:

Invention.

I tell my students that invention is the hardest stage of writing.  They simply can't come up with an idea.  They can't begin creative acts--making something from nothing--because they don't know how to begin thinking.

Well.  Let's just sit for a bit, as if we were waiting for a train on a foggy night with absolutely nothing to distract us.  Let's just sit here and think. 

It all began while a man waited for a train, thinking.

________________
Journal:  Do I schedule thinking time into my day?

2 comments:

David Edmisten said...

This is such wise advice. An executive leadership program I went through focused heavily on the importance of taking time to just think, to gain clarity before taking action in an endeavor.

I also like how it aligns with Scripture - taking those moments to just meditate on God's word, to be still before God - some of the greatest revelations in my life have come from right there.

JoyfulVoice said...

Hi Heather,
I discovered your blog from the Camp Greystone alumni site. I went on in order to help a girl find the application for staff, and found you! One of my most favorite staff members that one amazing summer I had the privilege of working for Katie. I'm reading a book called "One Thousand Gifts" which is truly making a huge difference in how I see God, the world, and myself. I would love to be in touch with you, even though I know time is short. Thank you for writing!! love, Elisabeth Shepard's Pie