Saturday, April 14, 2012

An Impossible Path

I'm driving on Route 76 in Somerset County, and as I approach the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, I have the strangest feeling that such things cannot be.  A tunnel through the mountain?  How?  The mountain rises up to block the path, and yet I'm sucked into the tiny black hole in its side.  I'm driving in that silent tunnel, and I'm thinking of impossible pathways.    

The Red Sea.  The Jordan.  I think of Psalm 77: "Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen."

I think of all the strange and unfamiliar and just impossible paths God sets us on.  When I ask, How will I get through this? I remember this from Isaiah 42: "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

When I'm on what looks like an unfamiliar (strange, impossible path) these days, I know that every obstacle has an equally powerful tunnel that God cuts in the unmovable rock.  

That's how I get through.

__________________________________
Aren't tunnels just amazing?

5 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

Love this, Heather.  What a comforting image that is - God cutting through the unmovable rock. Thank you.  More and more often, I cling to that verse from Is. 42.

And yes...tunnels are amazing. I'm intrigued by tunnels and bridges - wondering "how did they do that?"  The tunnels under water are the most amazing to me. How DO they do that? 

Markssong.wordpress.com said...

Hmmm... what a peculiar day I'm having. I had a dream last night and saw Jeremiah 6:16 flash before me: " Choose the ancient paths and you will find rest for your soul" Then I read your post about paths and another of the three blogs i read was talking about cross roads and choosing paths. if that wasn't enough - i hardly ever read fortune cookies, but at dinner I opened mine and it read:"Even if you are on the right path,you'll get run over if you just sit there. I guess I have some inquiring of God to do and put all of this together. Thanks for being a part of whatever it is that transitioning.

LivewithFlair said...

 Oooohhh! Keep us posted!  That's so cool. 

LivewithFlair said...

 I don't know!  I I have to find out! 

Elaine said...

There are two interstate tunnels that pass beneath the outer harbor of Baltimore.  I don't usually want to think about the water surrounding me.  But on future trips I will. 
When life seems to want to overwhelm and the voices say you will drown in it... GOD... has a plan!
He is so creative in how He enables us to go through on dry ground.  While I have been looking for a parting of the sea, I will now look around for the tunnel entrance. Thank you so much! This is a wonderful perspective!