Friday, October 19, 2012

Aflame

In May, she quietly houses Northern Cardinals, but in October, she sets herself aflame in autumn color.



Can you believe the difference? In one season, this bush serves a particular quiet purpose. In another season, everything about her--even her look--changes.

I think about this particular season when I feel aflame with a stressful schedule, too many writing projects (all good!), grading deadlines (not fun!), speaking events (all exciting!), and parenting challenges (all challenging!). It feels red with energy and pace.

It didn't help that I had a fever for two days and now feel two days behind. 

My husband reminds me that it's a season. I'll have my quiet May. I'll have my deep green, soothing, shaded May.

Besides, red has its own astonishing beauty if I just step back and take it all in. 

_______________________________
Are you in a stressful season?

2 comments:

Carla said...

It's funny to me that you think of "red" October being the energy-filled busy season and "green" May the quiet peaceful time. I tend to think of them the opposite way. October is the time things are dying and quieting down for winter. May is the time when life is returning and bursting forth.

Nice to think about the other perspective.

Karyn said...

We have a two burning bushes right out our front door and each year I am always amazed at how truly red they get.


Thankfully, we are not in a stressful season right now! We have made a big change in our family in enrolling our twin girls in a public online school for 6th gr in part to accommodate gymnastics training (and to spare their tender hearts from the "ick" of middle school). I have found for the first time in my 15 years of being a stay at home mom, how wonderful it is to actually stay home. I thought being a good stay home mom meant to be busy and always doing stuff. And while being momma and Chief Chaos Officer for my family means we are inherently busy, it's a different kind now, because the busyness is FOR my family instead of in spite of.