Monday, October 8, 2012

The Blessing of Work

I thought of another secret I want to pass on to my children. It's a simple thing, but one that has shaped how I think about my days.

The secret is that work--hard work--is a privilege and a joy. Accomplishing a task and applying effort to achieve a goal brings a certain satisfaction.

Each day has its own work, and work is a blessing. Working hard on any task (whether homework, baking, cleaning, writing, grading, leading, building) can be so enjoyable! We fight a narrative that tells us that work isn't fun, that work is drudgery, that work isn't exciting or joyful, and that work is the thing you get through in order to do the thing you really want to do.

But what if the hard work is the thing you really want to do? What if the work itself is its own reward?

I truly enjoy the work that each hour brings. I want my children to love to work. Living with flair means we embrace the joyful work before us today. No matter what the task, we can consecrate it to the Lord.

_____________________________
Do you love to work? Why?

No comments: