Monday, December 10, 2012

I Always Forget

It only takes a few thoughts to fall into a pit of delusional thinking. It happens so quickly: Suddenly, we feel like everything depends on our ability to think the right thoughts, do the right things, and be the right kind of people. 

But it's only God in us.

I always forget this.

I always forget that this is what Christianity is: Christ in us, the hope of glory--transforming us, renewing us, and making us new creations.

I always forget that all my efforts to improve myself aren't really improvements at all.  When I rely on God to accomplish what He wants in my life--when I cooperate with that movement of His Spirit--real change happens.

It feels very weak. I love that the Lord says to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9)

_________________
Aren't you tired of self-effort?

1 comment:

Italian Mama said...

The secular, artistic version of this liberating idea can be heard in Elizabeth Gilbert's brilliant TED talk.

www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html