Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Crammed with Heaven

Today a new friend shares with me a quote from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh (Book VII) that I love: 

“Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries,
And daub their natural faces unaware...”

Every common bush is afire with God. We see and take off our shoes because of the millions of holy places in this ordinary day. This day on this earth is crammed with heaven. How easy it is to forget to see. 




2 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

One of my favorites from EBB. It takes my breath away.

bwsmith said...

Last night on my walk -- I was stunned to see a bush -- the type of which is in our garden -- but our neighbor's was more mature, and perhaps better tended, and exploding with buds!
Your post reminds me to a) LOOK for the evidence of God in my world, and b) tend what I have been given so that GOD is evident in my life.