Friday, June 5, 2015

An Easy and Light Life

I'm alerted today to Matthew 11 where Jesus tells weary and burded people to come to Him. 

He says, "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

There's no confusion here in the ancient language; Jesus isn't speaking in a riddle here or inviting us into some inaccessible theological argument. No, it's really simple: We come to Jesus, and do what He asks as we learn from Him. It's refreshing, light, restful, and easy. 

Is this my life? Are you serious? I'm getting something wrong in these days filled with worry, exhaustion, labor, and trial. I'm missing something, and this morning I remember what it is. 

I'm taking on a different yoke of self-effort and striving. I'm taking on control and independence.

I take on Jesus's yoke of dependence, Spirit-empowerment, and surrender. I remember that if it's not easy, light, and refreshing, maybe I've missed the way of Spirit today. 

What a different way to live! Can it be true? Yes!


No comments: