Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Greatest Thing I Learned After Blogging Every Day for One Year

I woke up to an ice storm complete with power outages and school delays.  This cannot possibly be the kind of day to celebrate a Year of Blogging with Flair. 

But one thing I've learned after blogging every day for a year is that I can choose to find the flair in an ice storm. 

What's it going to look like to embellish with wonder and deeply infuse the ordinary with some spiritual reality?   Can I do this again today in the midst of the humdrum and the common routines?

I've taken on the spiritual discipline of finding God's truth reflected in the ordinary object:  acorns, a cat's injured eye, a snowflake, a wandering albatross.   I find that bit of truth that shows me, by analogy, a kingdom reality.

The ordinary day shimmers with God's radiance.  The mundane does indeed become marvelous, and we simply have to worship.

Even when the ice storm destroys the freshly bloomed daffodils.  All the fresh buds bend down.  There's beauty in the ice.  There's beauty in the bowed head of that daffodil.  The daffodil, after all, is a narcissus plant whose name derives from the Greek myth about Narcissus.  As you may know, Narcissus becomes obsessed with his own reflection at the water's edge, falls into the water, and drowns.

Is it God's loving hand that sends the thing into our lives that invites us to bow down in worship?  The thing that reminds us that He is God and we are not?  The thing that forces us (for once) to take our eyes off of ourselves and instead gaze upon the beauty of the Lord?

Send the ice storm if it means I bow down.


_________________________
Journal:  What bows me down when I tend towards narcissism?

12 comments:

Alison said...

Congratulations on a year of amazing reflection and writing, Heather!

Love the Narcissus!

Your fan--Alison

Charity said...

Happy Blogiversary!! I still desire to so much more intentionally THINK. :) Love you!

beth willis miller said...

WOW! I have been inspired by your blog to start trying to blog everyday...thank you:)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on 1 year of blogging. I have come to look forward to your daily reflections & they do assist me to tune into His voice in His creation & daily life. The 'ordinary' becomes 'extraordinary'. Thanks & keep up the inspirational work!

Robin Kramer said...

Congratulations on one year of flair, Heather! It's been a lovely journey to witness and share.

sherilyn said...

Well penned, Heather! You are such a gifted writer and even more gifted at finding God's truth that is reflected in the ordinary. Thanks for your blog!!! Writing every day is amazing! Kudos!

Sherilyn Jameson

Meg McGinty said...

The suspense is brutal – will you keep going? Will this be the first of many Blog-iversaries or will you retire? You have put flair into so many lives this year, thank you for all of your thoughtful and beautifully written messages. I bow down to you.

Peggy said...

Congrats on the one year aniversary. I enjoy your writing so much and your blog has challenged me to watch for flair in my own daily journey. Thanks! (and hope you continue)

Tammie said...

Congratulations on the one year anniversary. I have so enjoyed your posts and admire your honesty. As another who battled depression for years, I really appreciate what you write on your blog. Thanks.

jenny_o said...

Congratulations and thank you for a year of beautiful, thoughtful, and thought-provoking posts.

Sevgi said...

Congratulations and thanks for inspiring others tiredlessly for one year... I find that you are expressing the same thoughts and feelings that I have in my heart but that I am not even aware and not sounding aloud...keep on please....

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. It has inspired me. I hope you will continue.