Saturday, March 26, 2011

Waking Up with a Sore Throat

This morning, I realize immediately that I have a sore throat. 

I know what this means:  I'm getting sick (or maybe it's an allergy or just the dry air in my home or the fact that there's snow on the ground one day and daffodils blooming the next).  Whatever the cause, that irritating sore throat signals something.  It's a constant, annoying reminder to slow down, drink fluids, rest, and get better

I can't ignore the feeling of it.  With every swallow and every word I speak, I experience that whisper of raw pain telling me:  slow down; get better.  When I want to push through and scurry about to clean this house, the throat says: slow down; get better.  When I want to schedule a million things for the family, that throat responds: slow down; get better.

So Saturday cleaning day isn't happening.  Living with flair means you respond when something or Someone tells you to slow down and get better.   I just wish I didn't have to wait until something painful happens to realize the benefit of slowing down.   

Cat vomit, bad parking, and sore throats can teach me something about living rightly, and so far, Year Two of Live with Flair challenges me to learn from whatever negative, inconvenient, or painful thing comes my way. 
 
Thank you for inspiring me to live this way.  


____________________
What in my life is telling me to slow down? 

4 comments:

jenny_o said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, and THEN slow down some more.

Charity said...

I woke up with a sore throat too. Let's both slow down and get better soon. Love you!

Sevgi said...

A little bit of Honey with ginger powder helps me when I have a sore throat and warm liquids of course...or a gargle with salt water.....get well...

Wendy said...

Heather,
I found your blog a few months ago. I am so very happy that I did!! Want to take this opportunity to thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas here. You inspire me everyday to live with flair!

I have four kiddos...ages 8 to 16. My two youngest have been sick over the past two weeks....at different times. I'm home with my youngest today. Being off of work taking care of my little ones has reminded me to slow down. I am where I need to be. Life out there can and shall go on while I attend to what is most important in life.

Have a great day!