Thursday, March 31, 2011

When You Don't Get Recognition

All day, I think about the verse in Colossians that implores, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

Crocus Hiding in Snow
What does it mean to have a hidden life?

I wake up to a snowfall.  The forest that just yesterday made a glorious, boastful display of buds and bird nests and bullfrogs now stays silent, keeping secrets. 

It's deathly quiet on the way to school.  Snow buries the crocus and daffodil shoots.  Oh, that I could bear the weight of a hidden life with such grace!  Oh, that I could see the beauty in this tomb of snow when I was expecting Spring's grand performance!

What if we are hidden away at the moment when we're supposed to bloom? 

The temptation to be seen, to be public and praised, to be recognized and valued loses its power when I think about what it means to be hidden.

Later, I stand in my kitchen.  I'm crying about hidden things:  the years behind us and the years ahead of us of invisible labor.  We do beautiful things today that nobody awards or congratulates.

But God sees.  Being a hidden treasure is a way to live with flair.  And the scriptures teach that God "who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

____________________
Journal:  How is a life hidden in Christ our greatest blessing?

6 comments:

David Rupert said...

heather

Another great post. We do labor in anonymity -- and silence. Yet, God sees even if man does not

Anonymous said...

I love this, Heather. I was thinking about this recently when I did something that no one will ever know about but God, and anyone I tell. If I don't tell, is that enough? Is God a big enough audience for me?

Another High Calling blogger was posting on this same thing today. I thought I'd provide a link in case you are interested: Who Will Get the Credit?.

Blessings!

crystal said...

How I wish I could have been in your kitchen.

Crystal

AD said...

I like this. I always think it funny that when I think I'm going to get recognition for something, I don't, and when I could care less about recognition, I get it. However, the truth is I always get recognition for what I do, major or minor, because God always sees it.

Anonymous said...

A friend and I were doing a historic hike through a cemetery just this week and saw this verse etched on a tombstone. I thought then what an appropriate verse for a final life thought. What a great reminder that we are here on this earth to live for Him.
Elaine in Ann Arbor

Daniele @ Domestic Serenity said...

Yes, yes...these are true words. I was thinking on similar thoughts just this week. Am I content to write for simply an audience of ONE?

Thank you for gentle reminders...