Monday, October 28, 2013

The Big Goal: Participating in the Divine Nature

This morning, I glance at a new study guide called How People Change, by Timothy Lane and Paul David Tripp.

I'm struck by the governing question of the text. It's this:

What hopes and goals give direction to your life? 

Well, I'm so glad you asked.

I realize how easily I veer off course in my ambitions--whether writing, parenting, teaching, or even emotional well-being. The authors present the idea that the best hope and goal for a life is to "participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world caused by evil desires" (2 Peter 1:4).

Can I really say that the singular hope and goal of my life is to "participate in the divine nature" and to help others do the same? Is becoming more Christ-like my hope and goal above all else?

If so, then I realize all my experiences, both good and bad, function as stepping stones toward this goal if I allow them to. When filtered through this lens, I experience joy I never thought I could have. I know God is working to help me participate more and more in the divine nature.

If this is the hope and goal, then what happens to us doesn't paralyze us with fear or insecurity. We realize that God has the power to bring everything under His control to complete the good work He began in us.

He uses everything to help us participate in the divine nature.




No comments: