Friday, October 11, 2013

The One Thing You Can Never Schedule

Today I recall what's missing from our family life these days: spontaneity.

This blog began, after all, as that spontaneous decision to dance in my kitchen with my neighbor.

Living with flair meant something natural, joyful, unconstrained, and surprising. It was a way to open up my life to make room for God's unscripted insertions into my day.

Over the past three years, I've learned that spontaneity brings joy to our lives. I'm laughing as I remember some spontaneous events over the past few years:

Like when a student brought a homemade pie to class.

Like when I climbed into a giant hamster wheel with my children.

Or when I went sledding the moment before an evening out--in my fancy clothes and pearls.

Oh, the blogs I've written about tickle fights, random atlas adventures, and spontaneous hospitality.

We've missed all this in our zeal to keep order, to maintain a schedule, and stay productive.

Living with flair means spontaneity. I can't wait to see what this day brings that I haven't scheduled!


2 comments:

Risa said...

Hi Heather--Lying in bed this morning I though--what if instead of waking up thinking about all the things I have to do today, I woke up thinking about the spaces between all the things I have to do today, and the wonders that might fill those spaces if I let them?



Thanks for another great post!

LivewithFlair said...

Awesome!