Thursday, February 3, 2011

Keep Contact!

We skated to school today.  It was the only way to make it down the hill.  "Keep contact!" I cry out to the children.  We discover that if you try to walk on ice, that's when the falls happen.  But if you keep contact--never lifting your shoes--you can glide smoothly along.

Keep contact!  I say it over and over again, reminding myself I will not fall if I keep my feet down.

Later, as I begin the morning rush of dishes, laundry, doctor's appointments, responding to student emails, lesson plans, and all the rest, I stifle my spiritual self, my true self, designed to rest in and receive from God. That little mantra repeats:  Keep contact and you will not fall. 

On days like this, when I'm already late for everything, I remember that keeping contact matters most of all.

And all of a sudden, the day opens before me, smooth and clear as winter ice.  I launch out, skating smoothly with the wind at my back and the sun on my face.  






______________
Journal:  How can I keep contact with God today?  Is it possible to stay connected on busy days? 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I like that - "keep contact." Can be applied to so much and make my life so much better. Thanks.

David Rupert said...

That's actually a good question. One of the things about skating is to stay low too...a slight squat to center your body.

This could apply as well!

Anonymous said...

I often participate in contact improvisation dance. This is a completely unscripted mode of dance with a partner. It usually involves lifts and sharing your weight. Our mantra is to never lose contact with your partner. Once you lose your point of connection, you are liable to get hurt or possibly hurt your partner. I too feel that this connection can be carried over into life. If you lose contact with those around you, you run the risk of losing sight of what you value and what is important to your loved ones.