Monday, February 21, 2011

Licking the Blender Whisk

It's a snow day in our county, and the children and I make cookies to frost.  The girls crowd around me and eagerly reach for the blender whisks after I've made the vanilla frosting. 

I hand the whisks down, and I purposefully arrange some extra frosting on each one. 

A child licking the blender whisks reminds me of Henry David Thoreau's famous quote about sucking the marrow out of life. Back in July, I wrote about how the "Live with Flair" blog was my way to "live deep and suck all the marrow out of life." 

When my daughter licks the blender whisk, I see her searching out every last drop.  When she hands it back, it's as if it's been cleaned in the dishwasher. 

I want to search out the beauty in this day, relishing every part.  God hands me the whisk, and I sit back and enjoy it. 


__________________
Journal:  What good thing has come my way today? 

6 comments:

Meg McGinty said...

HOW WEIRD IS THIS? I wrote that post at 2:30 AM, obviously using my supernatural powers of foresight to predict that you would be writing about Thoreau as well today. Great connection to the whisk in this entry. Just watched "Dead Poets Society" last night twice because I am in love with some of the existential themes. HOTT picture by the way on the blog! WOW!

Jeedoo said...

Oh, yes!!

Unknown said...

I SO remember doing this as a child - what a wonderful illustration of flair - brings back precious memories. Thanks. Today, I took Hoss, my adoptable Redbone Coonhound to the kennel. He and my adoptable Husky mix Cane do not do well together and my Beagle oldies are getting in the middle :(. So, I have given all of us some time out; Hoss was excited by the Beagle song at the kennel, Bill heard him before he saw him and the dogs here are a bit nonplussed without him around. He be back :). Flair comes in all sizes and sounds - Hoss has it in spades!

Kar said...

the Thoreau quote makes me think of this....

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other,
body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO what a ride!"

that sounds like a life lived with flair!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post...so glad that I stopped by

Ann Kroeker said...

Yum!