Monday, February 14, 2011

You Don't Bug Me

This morning, a little boy who walks with me to school every day hands me a Valentine.  He's not a big talker, and he delivers it to me while looking at his shoes.

I open it up, and I see a picture of a giant bug.  It says, "You don't bug me."

I'm glad I don't bug him.  And, as a writing instructor, I have to admit I love the wordplay. 

I walk beside him, not saying even one word.  He doesn't like to talk, and I realize I don't have to be talking to know we're friends. 

Living with flair means I accept the slightest gestures of love, receive them fully, and walk beside my friends on their terms.  If that means silence, then I'll do it.

_________________
Journal:  What does it mean to love a person "on their terms" today?


PS--Here are two photos from my photo shoot which only happened because my friend stood knee-deep in snow with that reflector shade.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

The pictures are adorable. And this totally relates to living with a child who is virtually silent.

Laura said...

You don't bug me either :). Heather, these photos are beautiful! Things are flairing up around here!:) Thanks for your sweet words over at the HighCalling. I've been in a funk and am just now trying to regain my footing...catch up with friends around here. Good to catch up with you :).

Anonymous said...

the reading for today was cute, and the pictures are beautiful

Unknown said...

I love your responding to this boy on his terms - when I do this, it puts me out of myself and onto someone else in compassion, generosity and understanding. Verbalization can be over- rated; what did Wilf say today - I have two ears and one mouth for a reason? The pics are great - YESH to your friend - glad to see the first in your info :0.

Patricia said...

So sweet, Heather. Every day you challenge me.

You and your photos are gorgeous. I think I like the first one...with the red berries in the background...the best...but both of them are lovely.

jenny_o said...

Beautiful pictures. I really like the black & white one but they are both excellent.

Mspong said...

woahhh, you are so beautiful. You look like a model. I'm glad you had these done, they're great! Thanks for sharing :)