Monday, October 31, 2011

The Return of the "Boo Platter"

I arrive to the elementary school with a giant turtle, Cleopatra, a fairytale queen, and a cat in tow.  We merge with a Rubik's Cube, a jellyfish, and a 1920's flapper.  Today, children will parade around the school and enjoy a Halloween party in their classrooms.

Parents bring treats for these parties, and once again, I feel that old anxiety about baking and creativity.

But my daughter doesn't want what the other mothers can bring.  She begs for the "Boo Platter."  It's the third year of making this platter, and still, she wants it.  The legend of the "Boo Platter" as my most memorable act continues.

I shape the letters and realize I can experiment.  Instead of vegetables, I peel exotic fruits.


I'm giggling as I make this silly old platter that doesn't seem that special.  But for my daughter, this platter means so much.  Now, it's tradition.

It's a tradition that taught me perhaps the best principle of motherhood:  Be Yourself.  You're the perfect mother for these children; God chose you and not somebody else. 

So I'll keep writing.  I'll keep making words for them because they cherish even this little Boo

______________________________
Journal:  What's something so unique to you as a parent or caregiver?

3 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

I LOVE it, Heather. You ARE the best mother for your children, and they are blessed!  Love, Patricia

Roberta Beach said...

Three cheers for your very own family traditions.  Your snow last week reminded of one of ours. I grew up in MN and SD - when the first snow fell, it had to be a REAL snow that lasted and was over on inch - my mom made fudge using Hershey's cocoa.  After my sister married, her husband would watch the weather, check the snow and take them all to town to my mom's for fudge.  I love original family traditions :). 

Italian Mama said...

The Boo platter surely distinguished itself as the most original Halloween treat at her party.  It is perfect, and its perfection shines brighter each year it appears. Happy Halloween!