Monday, October 17, 2011

When Life Gives You Acorns

 I'm standing under my oak tree, and acorns bombard my head.

The Oak Tree

"Ow!  Don't do that!" I cry and shake my fist with one hand and rub my sore head with the other.  I can't even walk down my driveway without that tree pelting me with acorns.

Today, still sore from acorn wounds, I decide I can make something of all these acorns.

Acorns!

I take a little basket and fill it high with acorns.  I challenge myself to find the ones with their little caps still on them.  I bring my basket to the kitchen, and the children and I add cinnamon sticks, ginger, and some whole cloves. 

I've made myself some Acorn Potpourri. The whole kitchen smells like a spiced harvest.

Acorn Potpourri

You heard it said that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.   Well, when life throws acorns across your path (and on your head), you gather them and make Acorn Potpourri.

_________________
Journal:  What would you do with hundreds of acorns?

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I LOVE this. As soon as it stops raining (Wednesday, I think), I'm gathering a basketful of acorns and copying your delightful idea.

Dan Russell said...

when I was a kid we used to make acorn people . . . moms and dads from the big acorns and kids form the small acorns . . . we'd glue little googly eyes (from a craft store) and make funny faces . . . they already come with nice french beret's for hats.