Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Spin with Joy

This morning, I study all the different Hebrew words for "rejoice." It's because I keep seeing that verb over and over again in Deuteronomy and in the Psalms.

Rejoice!

It means what you think it means: to be very happy, glad, full of joy, and even, in some cases, to flap about happily. To flap about! Imagine!

One translation means to spin with joy.

That's what children do. That's what people do when they hear great news. They sometimes spin and even flap. Watch a child do this, and you'll know what I mean.

When was the last time you were actually spinning with joy?

I would like that kind of joy to settle into my heart and home. I would like to rejoice--like the Israelites did--over the provisions of the Lord. Instead of a gloomy heart, I want to spin about in gladness over food and clothing, shelter and health. What about spinning for family?

In Deuteronomy, folks were happy before the Lord. They might have even expressed this by twirling about. It makes me smile to imagine it.

I end my study of the verb rejoice by looking at Psalm 40: 15-17.

But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
    “The Lord is great!”

No comments: