Monday, September 8, 2014

It's 3:00 PM and I Haven't Paid Attention All Day

Normally by noon, the day explodes with moments of flair: acorns, late-blooming flowers, unusual creatures, brilliant comments from children, weather observations, or spiritual principles in dust or vacuums or toenails. 

On days that I set my mind to the task of wonder--of really paying attention--the day's treasures spread out like this. There's something to learn and notice and marvel over.

Other days, I realize the day has floated out of reach like a balloon I accidentally released from my hand. It's slipped on without me. By 3:00 PM, I'm chasing after it, finally aware of what it's worth and how much it meant to me.

This day moves on, and I take a moment to pay attention to its beauty and its lessons. This is the day that the Lord has made. . .

I notice the afternoon sunlight and the crisp whisper of autumn. Thank you, God. Thank you. I noticed. I remembered to pay attention and rejoice. 


No comments: