Wednesday, September 17, 2014

It's Disguised! It's Really Something Else!

I go to open the garage door, and I brush my hand against a dead leaf. But it's not a leaf. It's a moth disguised as a leaf. I only know because it flutters for a moment, and I see its little mouth and eyes. I snap a photo and let it fly away.


It's a moth! Look at how artfully disguised it is: The venation! The color! Even the crackled tips! How amazing! It's exactly the color, shape, and visual texture of the leaves in our yard that I crush gleefully beneath my shoes.

How? Oh, how do such marvelous things come about?

I remember once again that this day comes at us in many forms, obvious and hidden. We look carefully because the thing before us might just be something else entirely.

It might be blessing disguised as something we do not want and couldn't imagine. Look again. It's not what you think it is. Some Great Hand has crafted this treasure that isn't at all what we almost brushed away and crushed underfoot.


1 comment:

gina said...

This is so simple and wise: "Heather, God has not asked you to endure the thing you are imagining. If this thing happens, He will give you the grace you need at that moment." When I think about how much time and sleep and stomach lining I waste daily on things that may never even happen, it is shameful! Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one who does this, and for giving me the encouragement to start to change that aspect of who I have been.