Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Something Strange at the Voting Booth

In my neighborhood, we all gather at the small Baptist church to vote.  We come and line up, all of us representing different party affiliations.  I love this moment, and sometimes I've even been known to cry right there in the line. 

I'm one very tiny voice in a very large democracy.  My ballot represents my voice in this system, and I come out of dutyHere we are--all of us together--participating in this supreme right of citizenship. 

I'm in line, and I notice that nothing is happening.  We aren't moving along.  I look ahead, and I see an elderly woman so hunched over with age that nobody can see her face.  She's propped up by a helper on her left and a cane in her right hand.  Her movements are painfully slow.  The folks working the polls stop everything to assist her.  A chorus of helpers ask:  Can she make it over to her booth?  Is the booth too high?  Can she hold the pen and cast her vote? 

It's like slow motion.  When we observe her, we all start rooting for her.  Volunteers call her by name to make sure she can reach the booth.  We are all participating in this moment now.  This woman needs to cast her vote.  Nothing will thwart her.  The moment takes on a weight I wasn't prepared to experience. 

It's a beautiful moment.  I feel suddenly aware of my own lack of interest in this particular election.  I'm aware of how inconvenient it felt for me to drive over to the church and stand in line.  I'm saddened by the fact that I had to print out a voter's guide because I didn't recognize half the names of the candidates on the ballot. 

The woman who nobody could stop from voting has a name and a story.  She has an opinion and a voice that shapes our nation.  Her presence makes me realize another way I want to live with flair.  I need to show up and participate as a citizen.  And I need to help others do the same.  You have a name, an opinion, and a story we need to hear to help make our nation great. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather -- This was a great post. I get weepy at the polls too, sometimes. I was weepy in 2008 until everyone started griping and complaining about how long it was taking to get through the line. This was a beautiful reminder of the privilege we have to *be* the government.

The Bakers said...

You are VERY good at writing. I enjoy reading your posts. This is one of my favorite posts. When I read your blog,I have to go on!

Charity said...

Yes, voting often brings tears to my eyes as well. We can so easily take it for granted, yet it's really only been in recent history that women could even go vote. Add to that the many who have died over the history of our country to make it possible, and I feel like breaking into song...something by John Phillips Sousa!

Unknown said...

great post,its very importent for all coustomer,thanks dear you can see With BoothRus, WE offer Photobooth,Videobooth,Slowmotion booth, Flipbook, IN Houston, Pearland, Sugar Land,Rosenberg, Alief,Katy,Brookshire, Cypress, Tomball,Spring, Kingwood,La Port, Baytown, San Antonio, Dallas, Beaumont, Port Arthur
Boothrus – Your portable, modern, digital photo booth.
We provide the “FUN” to just about any event including weddings, engagements, proms, graduations, parties, birthdays, quinceneras, ceremonies, holiday parties, corporate parties, social gatherings – just to name a few…
Our photo booth is SUPER EASY TO USE – all you do is strike a pose, press a button – and wait for your photo to print in less than 15 seconds! Along with the printed photo, you will also have access to all of the digital copies taken at your event, uploaded to our online “optional password” protected gallery. With every booking, you will also receive CUSTOM DESIGNED LAYOUTS with your logos, event title and color schemes to accommodate your event. We now offer our photo booth rentals in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas – Texas, Denver – California – !.
At Boothrus,
we strive to offer excellent service and make every event fun and memorable photobooth
cheap photobooth
Slowmotion booth