Monday, February 28, 2011

A Disaster Waiting to Happen

This morning, fog cloaks the neighborhood. I pull out of my driveway and cannot even see the house next door.

Every instinct I have makes the situation worse:  High beams?  No! Their light reflects off the fog and blinds me.  Brake and swerve?  No!  Sudden movements mean cars pile up behind me or I hit the thing beside me.  Drive up close to the car in front?  No!  No, no, no!

I read later about a "visibility expert" at Virginia Tech (Ron Gibbons) who devotes his life to the study of how to ensure visibility in fog, snow, or rain.  Most every instinct we have when we experience low visibility endangers us.  Instead, we must use low beams, tap our breaks as we ease off the accelerator, make no sudden movements, and pull over if we need to. 

And, perhaps most importantly, choose not to drive at all.

All day, I think about things in my future I cannot yet discern.  With that horrible visibility, I'm tempted to trust my instincts and react on impulse.  I'm tempted to engineer my circumstances (swerving, braking) and stay in charge of my life.  Really, I'm just a disaster waiting to happen.

What if I slowed down, pulled over, left the car and trusted a Visibility Expert?  When God obscures my path, I need not worry.  I just trust something deeper than instinct, deeper than my own control.

I pull over.  I rest.  I resist my frantic instincts.    



(photo by National Weather Service: Jackson, KY)


____________________
Journal:  What can't I see that I need to trust God for?

PS:  A woman in the English Department commented today that this bad weather wasn't gloomy, rainy, or foggy.  "I like to say that it's just juicy outside," she says and smiles.  I love that!

No comments: