Sunday, November 6, 2011

There's a Child In There

My daughters help rake the leaves into huge piles on the lawn.  They use the tree swing to launch up and across the yard, releasing themselves like summer swimmers into a lake of golden water.

If you want to experience the season, burrow into the leaves with the children.  

They hide deep within the piles, and even though it's decades later, I still recall the burnt spiced smell of leaf piles.  I feel their scratch and crinkle on my face.

A Child Hides in the Leaf Pile
I see the afternoon sun filtered through a million brown leaves.  I hear that particular muffled silence that changes the whole world for a moment.  I taste the leaves' earthen powder on my lips. 

My daughter surfaces, smiling. 

She's in there.

Living with flair means we burrow deep, experiencing it. 

_________________________
Do you have leaf pile memories?

No comments: