Saturday, March 10, 2012

What I Found in Jack's Eye Today

Jack's never going to get another eye.




I realize this fact as I call to him; he has to turn his whole head to see me with his one eye. 

So much about this little cat has healed, and you know if you've read his story.  But some things won't heal.   Jack has learned coping mechanisms and tilts his head so he can see what other cats see.

He still runs into walls, the table legs, and sometimes other cats who approach from his right.  That's just how it is when you're missing an eye.

Sometimes I wonder why certain things have happened in my life.  I wonder about things I cannot change, problems I cannot solve, relationships I cannot mend, and moods I cannot manage.  I realize that God could heal, but He chooses not to because of a plan and a purpose I cannot see. 

But I've learned to pray for strength.  I've learned to pray for courage.  I've learned to pray for the ability to see what God sees.  I tilt my head and turn my face to the light. 

I peer deep into Jack's one eye, and today I see myself


That's me in the white sweater, turning my head to see. 

_____________________________
Have you embraced the things in you that you just can't fix?   

7 comments:

Ashlee Hein said...

My sisters dog bella has one eye too. She also tilts her head a lot. Neat perspective :)

juliana said...

Heather I love all that you've learned from Jack and so glad that you share it!  I'm curious - how did you come to adopt Jack?  Or how did he come to adopt you?  

Live with Flair said...

 Oh, sweet Bella!  How did she lose her eye?

Live with Flair said...

 Dear Juliana,
Jack was in a cage at a pet store.  He was a feral cat that was part of the Hundred Cat Foundation (http://www.hundredcats.org/).  The volunteers found him and repaired his infected eye socket.  They hoped someone would adopt him, but nobody wanted a cat with one eye.  Ashley ( husband) just fell in love with Jack!  We adopted him that day.  I remembered he called me at work and said, "I found us a cat, except that he has one eye and might be scary to look at."  He was!  But now, it just seems normal that he has one eye!

juliana said...

Isn't that yet another analogy that we can learn from Jack? That when we were adopted we weren't much to look at (and could be kinda scary for those around us) and as we learn and grow and become in Him and become more comfortable with who He created us to be we blossom.  

Italian Mama said...

Your pictures and musings about Jack are inspired and inspiring.  I just marvel that Jack and other wounded animals seem to adapt so uncomplainingly to their handicaps.  I once watched a dog with no hind legs gallop dragging his hind quarters on a makeshift wagon down to the waters edge at the beach.  Once on the sand, his person unstrapped his crippled rear end and let the dog free to roam and romp in the water.  That dog lept and frollicked right along with his undamaged mate both totally compelled by the spirit of joy inspired by the crashing waves.  I believe I wept with joy for that beautful dog spirit. I feel overwhelmed by the same inarticulate joy when I read about Jack and see his beautiful face and classy white gloves. 

Live with Flair said...

 Hello, there, Italian Mama!  I made roasted peppers and garlic last night and thought of you for the entire evening.  Plus, I'm almost finished with the book you brought over!!  This image of the beautiful doggie spirit just moves me so.