Monday, September 23, 2013

How to Stop Comparing Yourself: You're Appointed for That

I'm learning another path to freedom from comparison, jealousy, insecurity, and even fear. Two Bible verses inoculate me against these kinds of temptations: 1 Corinthians 3:6 tells me that "the Lord has assigned to each his task." Ephesians 2:10 reminds me that "we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

I realize that some of us are simply appointed for certain externally beautiful, prosperous, joyous things, while others seem appointed for suffering, disappointment, loss, or failure. Is God not still in charge? Is God not still assigning--with great care, specificity, love, and purpose--our task (whether pleasant or challenging)? Is our prepared "good work" suddenly less meaningful because it looks different from another's?

I'm reminded that we're sovereignly appointed for our tasks and our good works. No one has the same tasks. Externally, we compare and measure ourselves against one another and end up in places of jealousy, insecurity, and sometimes fear. But the way out (at least for me) is to always remember what I'm appointed for.

It might be harvesting raspberries, walking with my neighbor, writing, cooking dinner, leading a quiet Bible study, helping my daughters with their homework, making snacks, grading, and teaching. I'm filled with peace when I realize this is what I'm appointed for today.

And I pray that I enter into the path of freedom where I receive my specific tasks with joy and confidence.

I'm appointed for this.


No comments: