Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Stable and Certain

This morning, I realized how many time the word "foundation" is used in scripture to refer to stability, strength, and certainty.

In Isaiah 33:6, I read that God is the "sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure." Another translation says, "He will be the security and stability for your times."

I just want to walk around all day and say this verse to myself.

I don't enjoy feeling unstable or uncertain about anything. It's not fun. When I feel this way, I'm realizing that perhaps it's because I'm depending upon another type of foundation. It's because I'm fearing something else other than a Holy God. I'm building up something in my mind that's supposed to provide stability or certainty--whether money, productivity, a good reputation, fruitfulness, ministry--of course it's back to the three A's of false foundations: appearance, affluence, and achievement.

How silly and foolish in light of a most awesome and powerful Lord who will not tolerate idols or shaky resting places. No matter what's happening in my life or in the world, I know that God is a sure foundation.

That's really all I need to know today if something feels unstable or uncertain.


1 comment:

Anne Wenger said...

Absolutely true, and yet we do need daily reminders of that. How firm a Foundation, ye saints of the Lord, Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!