Tuesday, August 26, 2014

"Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others." Jonathan Swift

I recall the quote by Jonathan Swift that "vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others."

I think about having great vision for the beauty of this day (that so many things attempt to obscure). It's invisible--the underlying joy, wonder, and peace here--so we use a different spiritual vision to experience it.

I think about having great vision for people who, on the surface, present hopelessness or despair.

I think about having great vision for not-yet writers. I think about all my new students who hold within them great, life-changing writing that we just cannot see yet.

What else sits here, invisible, but here? When I see disappointment, the visionary sees possibility. When I see an obstacle, the visionary sees it as a stepping stone. When I see everything going all wrong, the visionary sees everything going all right.

I want that vision that sees the invisible thing.


3 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

LOVE this! I what that vision, too, Heather. Hope you will have a great year. Your students are so blessed to have you as their professor.

LivewithFlair said...

Thank you, Patricia!!!

David Rupert said...

Great vision is different than big dreams.


I think dreaming is more about hope, believing that things will come together.. But vision is seeing the opportunity, catching the light in someone's eyes, and looking at a tomorrow with new vigor