Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Would He Give Him a Stone?

I read in Matthew 7:7-11 something so beautiful to remember:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" 

I think of the "good gifts" of the Father, and I'm struck by the realization that I often interpret His good gifts as stones or snakes.

God brings something to me, but I only feel the heavy weight of a stone.

But what comes into my life, because of the sovereign love of God--His ultimate goodness--represents a good gift. I think of the times I've prayed when God seems to send something so far from a good gift. He often sends what I feel like are the snakes and stones of difficulty or disappointment.

But God gives good gifts, not snakes and stones.

So I ask Him to give me that eye of faith to see what's in my hand as a gift, not a heavy stone.

1 comment:

bwsmith said...

May all your treasures increase and prosper -- this piece is a good reminder to properly reckon our blessings!