Saturday, April 4, 2015

"You Don't Have to Be Good"

My youngest and I search the garden for signs of spring. We observe the daffodils, raspberry canes, and of course, the Weeping Cherry.

She says, "Mom, do you think I'll get an Easter Basket this year?"

I begin to say, "Have you been good?" But I stop before the words escape my mouth. 

She doesn't have to be good; nothing depends on her goodness.

The Easter Basket is the celebration that Jesus conquered death. He arose and gives us the gift of salvation, resurrecting everything dead within us and bringing it into glorious Life. When we receive Jesus as Lord, we are covered in His righteousness, and we no longer have to be good. Our behavior earns us no favor. We already have the favor of God. It's already declared; my goodness is now about enjoying God and keeping in step with His Spirit. 

"Yes," I say. "I do. And you don't have to worry about whether you've been good. You don't have to be good."

I'm so thankful that I don't have to be good anymore.


No comments: