Monday, July 29, 2013

We See it As We Choose

Today my oldest reminds me of a huge problem with scientific inquiry. She explains that if you go looking for what you think will happen, you can skew your results.  She further explains that we often experience what we imagine will come about. Our own bias destroys authentic research and discovery. Our hopes bias what we choose to see, and we interpret experience through a lens. 

"It's true," she reports, nodding with her eyebrows raised in serious revelation. 

"Well, if that's true," I suggest, "and if my bias is that powerful, then I can actually influence how I interpret this very day--good or bad, hopeful or hopeless, meaningful or pointless." 

"Yes. That's true. We see what we want."

"Yes."

"Yes." 

I love learning from my children. 

 


1 comment:

Kathy said...

That's why I don't like the phrase "It is what it is" that is so common now....It is what we perceive it to be. Kudos to your daughter.