Tuesday, December 17, 2013

And I Quote Lumiere

This morning, I'm mopping the kitchen floor to the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack. Lumiere cries in despair:

Life is so unnerving 
for a servant who's not serving. 
He's not whole without a soul to wait upon! 

I remember a conversation with my husband and others about the way we're made to live best. As I read through the scriptures, I find so much evidence that we're to--like Christ--humble ourselves and take on the very nature of a servant.

We're told to "lose our lives" and to "spend ourselves on behalf of others." Rather than finding this reality exhausting, demeaning, or imprisoning, we instead find joy. We work best when we give our lives away.

Instead of self-promotion, self-exultation, and self-satisfaction, we're to orient ourselves around Jesus and what's He's doing in the lives of others.

The Christmas season is a great time for me to remember this. Christ did not come to be served but to serve.


1 comment:

Robin Kramer | Pink Dryer Lint said...

Heather, thank you for these wonderful daily reminders.