Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Other Abundant Life

I have a list in my head of what constitutes the "abundant life" Jesus describes in John 10. His promise is that "[He] has come so that we might have life and have it abundantly," so naturally, I imagine all sorts of wonderful things that could come about in my life.

This morning, however, I wonder if I've really surrendered to God's idea of what abundant life means for me. Am I willing to receive the abundant life He offers (and not the one I'm devising in my mind)?

I feel a strange and wonderful freedom--most moments of true surrender feel strange and wonderful at the same time--because I'm allowing God to build my life and bring all the abundance He's planned.

I cease blocking this abundance by my own effort to craft what I think abundance means. Does it mean more friends, more money, more house, more success, more. . . anything?

It doesn't matter what I think about it. I can let that go and invite God to shape my abundant life which will be better and brighter than anything I could make happen on my own.

Oh, the joy of surrendering even this.




1 comment:

Judy Gordon Morrow said...

Amen, Heather! Yes, "the joy of surrendering even this." I continue to marvel at the abundant--and amazing--lives that God can shape once we are all his. Thank you for this wonderful reminder!